RIFLE RANGE – TULLICH
H.E.R. No. MHG56865
GRID REF. 91234195 to 916418
2nd addition o/s map 6 inch to 1 mile
This rifle range was used by the Lochcarron Volunteers, later the Ross and Cromarty Highland Mountain Battery (Royal Garrison Artillery) Territorial Force, based in Lochcarron, between c1870 to 1914 when they went off to Gallipoli. The battery was disbanded in the early 1920’s soon after returning from WW1 in 1919.
Behind this protective wall soldiers could safely raise and lower the targets on the still existing mechanism by means of ropes and pulleys etc using the winding wheels while the rest of the men fired from 200, 300 or 500 yards down range. There also appears to have been some kind of weather protection “lean to” for these men as corroded corrugated sheets are still evident at each end of this mechanism up against the wall.